Thursday, October 1

Another bike frame rescued from the landfill

I got this frame/fork/crankset/stem from POLOSCAB. It sat in my garage for a while. After reading Scott's articles about his Schwinn Le Tour II, I decide to build it into a SS for casual rides/commutes.

I had to invest about $120 in a seat post, brakes, brake levers, cables, and bar tape, but everything else was stuff I had in the garage. Dave at the shop was a huge help. He helped me find some brakes and a seatpost that would work. He even helped me find some baby-blue bar tape that would have perfectly matched the Reynolds tubing decal you can see in the second picture, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on baby-blue bar tape.

It's nice to have a shop to go to where they help you out even when there isn't a significant financial gain to be had by doing so.

I think it turned out pretty good and that's one less bike frame in the local landfill.

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

dale said...

Nice work, Bob! Sport Touring Geometry 12 Speed in an earlier life, now simplified to a singlespeed. Just for around town or would you consider it on something like Seth's ride?

Biker Bob/Runner Bob said...

I'll be at the wedding this weekend, so I would not be able to join you for the ride this weekend.

If I was available, this bike would probably be what I'd use for a 100 mile ride.

rg said...

I've got an old TREK that I want to get setup as a SS. It needs a ton of work, and I'm struggling with how to get started. I too read Scott's post and thought about taking it somewhere to get it done. I just want to go the economical route as it seems kind of silly to drop a bunch of $$ on an old 'fun' frame!

POLOSCAB said...

It looks a lot better than it did in the shed. Nice job!