Wednesday, December 17

where was the mud?

With the freezing temps lately, I expected last Saturday's 50's to be nothing but a slime fest at tp. I even advised people on Friday not to ride Saturday. Then I hear from Paul Saturday afternoon that the North Loop was in pretty good shape when he updated the kiosk with freeze/thaw notice.

After working at the shop till 20:00, I rode home, put on some cycling clothes and rode through SBL to TP for a lap and return through SBL. Only two really muddy spots, at the entrance and exit of the Fort Street Loop. I was shocked. Where was the mud from the frost thawing? I need to include additional data to more accurately forecast of how slimey the trail will be.

You may have heard that the moon was at its closest apogee for another 15 years, and coupled with it being a full moon, was about 30% brighter than normal. I decided to try and ride SBL and TP without a headlight. I was successful, though the 10 mile or so ride took about 2 hours! Some of the TP trail were dappled with moonlight with the end of the Fort Street Loop and start of the North Hill Decent being the darkest. It was easy to tell when I was off the tread because it went from silence to grass crackling under the tires! Very unique and memorable ride.

No comments: