Sunday, November 16

schwalbe marathon winter studded tire

After working with chains last winter, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a set of studded tires. I've really enjoyed my marathon supremes for road, so I decided to try the 700x42 schwalbe marathon winter hs396. They recommend 25 miles of non skidding, hard pavement riding to seat the studs before snow and ice. The studs are carbide tipped and will last much longer than steel, which lasted about a season and a half for me several years ago.



I rode them about 12 miles for cranksgiving last Saturday, taking my time and enjoying the ride with Paul and Bob and one of his sons.

Jim Flowers forecasted 29-34 inches of snow for this winter, about 6 more than last year; and cooler temps overall. Studded tires (or chains) really make a difference and contribute to a great time snow riding! I am really looking forward to it!

2 comments:

Tim Wieland said...

Dale - How do you think these tires would do in snowy singletrack?

dale said...

Yes, the off-road rating is only average but I think it will work for me on our flatter local trails.

I've been riding my marathon supremes off-road and they work with my fixed setup because I don't push the corners as hard. I will be getting the marathon extreme (42) when available as an all around for gravel, off-road, and road - a casual one bike setup for everything local. When I want more off-road traction or suspension, then the fat tires go on.