Wednesday, January 14

cold tuesday commute

Fortunately, I only have a 2 mile commute to work, about 10 minutes by bike. Yet Tuesday's afternoon temp of 11F with an 18mph wind made it feel like the coldest ride yet this winter. It was actually warmer going home around 8pm.

Today's commute will be even colder, currently 5F and wind gusts of 17mph. Personally, I would rather take the calculated wind chill temp with no wind, it feels warmer to me because I ride slow enough not to blow my external body heat away like a strong wind does.

I've been commuting in work clothes (blue jeans, shirt), shimano winter boots, voler thermal jacket, amfib gloves, p-izumi belaclava (will have 2 today). Other than having to switch to workshoes and the belaclava, this is the same clothing for a car commute.

3 comments:

Biker Bob/Runner Bob said...

The 1-2 mile range gives you a lot of leway in clothing. Get much over that, or spend more than 15-20 minutes in temps like this, and riding in driving clothes wouldn't work so well.

Good job on the commuting.

RF said...

yeah, its ridiculously cold. i hope you have warm underwear, blue jeans sound cold!
I admire your discipline to keep a reasonable pace. in this weather, only going 2 mi i would be sprinting around cars and through stoplights to get it over with!

RF said...

on the real windy days i have found i have to put a moisturizer on my face before long rides to keep my skin from cracking. yikes!