Sunday, September 14

fall century in the books

Before the riders' meeting

Riders' meeting. Doug L graciously volunteered to drive the sag van. Zac counted 41 riders at the start. I was surprised at the turnout with a NW 15-30mph wind.

Special mention goes to biker bob who rode from Branched Oak around 04:00 to the start, then up to Ft Calhoun before heading home for his 100, finishing before 11:00!

The wind took its toll today. A fast group went off the front but didn't have time for the whole 100. The second group out of Ft Calhoun ran a rotating paceline to get to Blair where we ate at a supermarket. Then double pace line again up to Herman. These two stretches were the most difficult in terms of wind. The next group out of Blair headed west on US30 to almost Aliance, then south on old hwy 8 through Elk City and back to the shop. The group that went through Herman splintered at US30, about half continuing on to Elk City and the other half heading west to Aliance and Fremont.

We stopped in Aliance to refuel and then across the open flood plains with a stiff crosswind. Once in Fremont, I took this picture of the group.

I was not able to ride fast enough with the tailwind to stay with. I arrived home at 15:45, 7.5 hours from rollout. This was my first fixie 100. I was toast at Fremont and rode recovery pace. Thought I might have to walk hwy36 Elkhorn River hill and Military Rd wall but didn't. The hardest hill for me was on Pershing Rd north of Hummel Park.

Thanks to Dave who organized the ride, Bike Masters for supplying the sag van, and all the riders who rode today. There are some tired riders tonight.

Photo of the finishing group

2 comments:

Biker Bob/Runner Bob said...

Thanks again to all that help organize the event. I too was surprised at the large turnout considering the wind and temps.

I wanted to do the whole thing, but my legs were pretty rubbery when I got to Ft Calhoun.

Kudos to everyone that finished the full 100.

dale said...

Rich W. got lost several times but rode over 100 miles. Also Christian C. did the route as prescribed but we didn't see him b/c he rode at his own pace.